Countdown to Halloween.

In the spirit of Halloween I thought I would countdown my top 10 Halloween movies. I am a movie fanatic and some of them are popular and high quality and some are not, but without further ado and in no particular order.

1)

The Worst Witch - This was a tv movie from the UK that was released in 1986. It stars a young Fairuza Balk, Diana Rigg, Charlotte Rae and an amazing appearance by Tim Curry. It's really poorly made and very dated (in the musical number for Tim Curry it shows a beta max tape, seriously.) but absolutely fun.



2)

Hocus Pocus - The year this movie came out I must have seen it 10 times in the theatre. It makes me laugh and has great musical numbers. You can't beat the cast: Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy. Disney done good. 

3) 

Something Wicked This Way Comes - This movie scared the pee out of me when I was younger. Another amazing cast and just generally a good film. 

4) 

Beetlejuice - Classic Tim Burton, nuff said. 

5) 

The Nightmare Before Christmas - Yeah...nuff said again.

6) 

The Company of Wolves - A dark fairy tale based on the stories of Angela Carter. One of my favorite horror/ thrillers. 

7) 

The Craft - I can't help it. I just love this movie. 

8) 

The Wicker Man - The original 1973 version. So great and spooky. Christopher Lee is magnificent. 

9)

Sleepy Hollow - More Tim Burton. Haunting and awesome. 

10) 

Horror Hotel - An old Christopher Lee film. An interesting plot with plenty of suspense. If you have never watched it you should. 

There are many more I love and frequent, but these are my go to Halloween films. 

I will be posting more this weekend for the holiday. 



Comments

KG said…
I remember watching The Worst Witch as a kid and have always loved that movie. I'm still on the hunt for it on dvd or something.
Lilly Briar said…
I love a lot of these movies too! I remember seeing Worst Witch when I was little and I loved it. I also loved Hocus Pocus, and still love Sleepy Hallow and Beetle Juice. You mentioned Angela Carter ... is she the author of The Passion of New Eve? I read that she wrote other fairy-tale related stories but I haven't read them. If that's the same author, I think I would like that movie too.

Love,

Lilly Briar - The Lonely Sock
Nichola said…
Love, love, love In the Company of Wolves. Angela Lansburry as the Granny? Come on! Awesomeness!

Popular posts from this blog

Practical Magic and my very first Giveaway

Mad Tea Party 2011

Betsy's Gypsy Dreams