Getting Schooled

Another semester of school is behind me. This semester was really hard for me, because I have to take more math courses since I switched my major, and Algebra II was on my schedule. I am proud to say that in spite of my mathematical ineptitude I still managed to get an A I also took my final prerequisite English class as well and also aced it. So it was a good semester overall. In fact I am quite proud of some of the papers I wrote for my English class. They were really good. And I'm not just saying that because I wrote them. 

Summer courses start on the 20th and I am taking 10 credit hours instead of the usual 7 or 8, because if I take three classes a semester through next spring I should graduate with my associates of the arts this time next year. For summer I am taking: College math - which is intimidating as hell for me as the description includes the word trigonometry, yikes; American history to 1877 - which should actually be kind of fun; and Intro to Folklore - which is right up my alley and I should love it. 

For fall I am scheduled to take Intro to Chemistry, Classical Mythology and Writing Creative Non-Fiction, a class that I think may help with my blogging, handy. 

Sometimes I am amazed at how far I have come. I was so scared to even begin school, but I have really taken to it and, other than some harried classes just before the wedding, have done really well. I have to start thinking of what schools I am going to apply to in order to finish my bachelor's degree, and let's be honest probably to get my master's and hopefully to work on my doctorate. I know I want to keep going, and to someday teach English at a college level. So I have to make that happen. I see lot's of scholarship essays coming in my near future. 

What I think is funny is that I have not thought even once that maybe I am too old to be starting this journey, that it is too late. Instead I keep thinking that if I will never be able to retire at least I can teach to a ripe old age, because writing in some form, and literature, will always be there and needing to be taught. So I can do that until I die and be positively happy doing it. Something to look forward to. 

If only the getting there was not so slow. I am hoping that Seth and I can put our heads together and work out a way that I can start going to school full time and working part time next fall when I transfer. That way I can take a full class load and get my degree sooner rather than later. I am going to look into scholarships, grants, anything that might make this possible and make it so we can still live. I just need to make it work, so I will. That's all there is to it. :) 




Comments

Queenie Believe said…
Congrats on the A grades!!!
You can do whatever is in your heart and is a passion. A heart's desire is there for a reason. Belive me, age is rarely if ever an issue. Go for it :o)
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie

Popular posts from this blog

Practical Magic and my very first Giveaway

Mad Tea Party 2011

Betsy's Gypsy Dreams