Herbs, Divination and My B.O.S.

Since it' not raining anymore I am going to get up early tomorrow and go out to work in my yard. It's not incredibly large, but it's a nice sized yard for Seth and I. I am going to dig out a space for my herb garden beside the backstairs leading from the kitchen. I am starting with a few aromatics and cooking herbs. Basil, Oregano, Sage, Rosemary, Lemon Verbena and Lavender. I will also get starts from my mother for Chives, Comfrey, Yarrow, Lemon Balm and maybe Bee Balm. I'm so excited to get my yard started. A lot of the yard is in the shade so I have been doing a lot of research on what I will be able to plant. I am probably going to work little by little over the next couple of years, but eventually my yard will be a little sanctuary for me, Seth and Zoe, my Chihuahua. Just add twinkly fairy lights. :)

So, other than finding people to do readings for, how can one practice divination. When I was younger my friends thought it was awesome to get tarot readings and I was giving them several times a week, but now not so much. I realized at one point that it had been nearly a year since I had given a reading. My biggest problem is that I find it incredibly hard to do readings for myself because I will lie to me. I know that seems ridiculous, but it's true. If I don't like how a card came up I will swing it to a new bend, knowing I'm doing so. I suppose one could argue that in spite of the swing the real meaning is getting through, but I just think it's silly to do them if I'm just going to make crap up to make myself feel better. I'm trying to learn to work with Runes as well and I am trying to decide if I am going to have the same issue. We will just have to see I guess.

After seeing Danni's post about assembling a Grimoire or Book of Shadows I began really thinking about my own. I had decided I would use a 3 ring binder ages ago so that things could be added/removed easily and various papers and such used in it. Well, as I was  thinking about this yesterday I also had to think about how it is getting full and I can't really add without taking away anymore. I decided it was time to upgrade. So I went to Staples, a great magical supply store hehe, and bought a brand new 4" binder to move my B.O.S. to. It's just a solid black and I am looking forward to getting to decorate it and decide what will go where and how I want it divided. I'm so excited by the project. :) I can't wait to get started. I'm going to miss my old B.O.S. but I think it's time to move up.

Comments

Danni said…
I've gotten incredibly rusty with my tarot reading. There was a 5 year gap between the last time I touched them and when I picked them up again, so I had lost my ability to read intuitively and had forgotten the by the book meanings of all but some of the major arcana.

What I've been doing to practice aside from read for myself, is pick one card every day to ponder and read. I spend the day thinking about what the symbolism of the card is before looking at the book. This seems to help me to remember the card in the future.

You could also try doing small readings about things that aren't of huge personal significance to you. That may help with the fibbing a bit.
AlphaBetsy said…
Ooh...good ideas. Thanks. I am definitely rusty. I used to be an incredibly intuitive reader too. Hopefully I can get myself back in the swing.

Popular posts from this blog

Practical Magic and my very first Giveaway

Mad Tea Party 2011

Mad Tea Party 2013 - and a giveaway